Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Pies

This Thanksgiving we are going to Matt's brother's house here in town. It's always a lot of fun and tons of good food. We do it potluck style. There's always a lot of us there (Matt's family and my sister-in-law's family). We use old recipes from grandparents and aunts. I'm looking forward to the asparagus casserole, Beth's (Matt's mom) stuffing, and sweet potato casserole. YUM.

This year we are bringing chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, and rolls. We kind of have it easy I guess because we just had a baby.

Matt has always loved his Aunt Linda's chocolate pies and she gave me the recipe several years back. I thought I'd share it with you as well as my mom's pumpkin pie that I love.

Chocolate Pie
-Bake a pie crust after poking holes with a fork all over it.
-Get 1 box of Chocolate Jello pudding (the kind you cook)....cook it according to the directions on the back of the box but add 3 egg yolks and a handful of brown sugar.
-Stir constantly until it has big bubbles.
-Poor it into the pie crust and chill after it cools down.
-I use whip cream for the top once it has chilled.
-You can use the egg whites along with a pinch of cream of tartar to whip up some mirang for the top (whip until it has big peaks) That's the way Aunt Linda does it.

Pumpkin Pie
-Ingredients:
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 can (16 oz.) solid pack pumpkin
3/4 c sugar (or less)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups PET evaporated milk
1 pie crust shell

-Preheat oven to 375
-Put pie crust in pie plate and crimp edges
-In a bowl combine ingredients above in the order given above
-Poor mixture into pie shell
-Bake 65-70 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
-If crust edges start to brown too much, cover them with foil
-Cool
-Garnish with whipped cream and walnuts, if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments: