Friday, January 4, 2008

Thanksgiving

Before the holidays get away from us I wanted to share our Thanksgiving with you. We headed out to Bastrop, Texas where Matt's great aunt has a little cottage on some land. It's really pretty located right in between two state parks. We drove through a state park to get there on a tiny road through tons of tall pine trees. It reminded me of driving on the trails in Colorado where all you could see was aspen trees and nothing else. I've never really liked pine trees because they make such a mess but driving through them like that was beautiful. Going there is like a family reunion for Matt's family because a ton of his extended family gathers. Matt's "Memo", his mom's mom, had 3 sisters and they decided a long time ago that they would all get together for Thanksgiving out in Bastrop. So, most years, we drive out there, getting lost pretty much every time : ) and bring our pot luck dishes. The food is delicious!!!! For the most part everyone uses recipes from the "sisters" and they are oldies but goodies! Whew! Afterwards there are pies and sweets galore. Some of the guys always smoke the turkey outside and it's always delicious. Great tradition and sweet people. It's fun to hear all the different stories about those sisters and the rest of the family. I've included some pics. I didn't get any outside. It was freezing cold!!! But now I regret it. We did, however, get some video footage outside. As soon as I figure out how to transfer our video footage that will be fun for you guys to look at!

I also included some pics of our time at Matt's parent's while we were down there as well as a few pics of Merrae and my Aunt Elaine, my mother's sister.

No comments: