Saturday, December 15, 2007

Our Dog Lehya......






































































Our dog Lehya....is the size of a small calf. Most would say she's the size of a small horse. But, I have proof here that she is not! Ha. Here she is having a stand off with one of Matt's parents' calfs. She is a Great Dane and believe it or not, she is a petite Great Dane. She is 10 years old and the sweetest dog God has ever created. It's funny to me that I ended up with a huge dog because I used to be terrified of dogs growing up. I think it's because I never had a dog for any long period of time growing up. When I was a toddler we had 2 outside dogs (I think they were outside dogs)...Tippy and Sissy. Then, my dad gave us a dog when I was in high school but he ran away shortly after we got him. There was a kid across the street who was attacked by a dog and I think that must have been what did me in....not sure. But, overall I think it's because I wasn't used to being around them. Anyway, Matt got Lehya from his parents right when we started "courting". So, she's always been my dog too in a way. She's always been such a sweet, loving dog. Even as a puppy she would just lean up against you and stand there so you would pet her. Of course she's always thought she was as small as a lap dog so as a puppy when she would jump up to greet you, it would be quite overwhelming. But, that was few and far between that she would jump on us. She has always had a calm, gentle personality and likes to lay around and be wherever we are....unless we are vacumming. : ) She got to grow up on Matt's parent's land with several other dogs, chickens, cows, horses, pigs, bulls, and geese. Then, she moved into a few houses and apartments with Matt and is now in our small apartment. In her old age she has done very well with being in an apartment because all she likes to do is lay down anyways. She's gotten to go on many walks and runs and her favorite thing to do is sunbathe just outside our front door. We don't even have to put a leash on her because she will stay right by our apartment. When we let her out to go potty she goes straight there, does her business, and then comes straight back. We don't even have to go with her! That is a huge blessing especially now that we have Merrae to take care of and as the weather gets cold. Lehya is so good with Merrae. She lets Merrae pat on her, put stuff in her face ocassionally, and is careful with her. I guess the only draw back to Lehya is that she takes up 1/2 of our dining room area and when we don't pick up her "business" outside, EVERYONE knows it's from our dog!!! Ha!!! As she's gotten older she's had some degeneration in her spine which makes it hard for her to get up and down. Vitamins have helped to make her feel herself and she still ocassionally runs up and down our hallway and out onto our porch chasing her stuffed animal cat. She still loves her trips back down to the farm where she grew up but she's developed quite nicely into a "city girl". We LOVE you Lehya!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

wow! do you remember our two miniature dachsunds, Rex and Sadie? they would be lunch her Lehya!!! no probably they would have been best friends but now they are in doggy heaven so they can't play together...hahahahahahaha. i know i'm weird!

i guess i'll go post on mine. don't have anything to say. i'll think of something.