Monday, December 8, 2008

Shots

Took Matthis for his 2 month check up today even though he's 2 months and 3 weeks. : ) I had been reading a book about immunizations by Dr. Sears called "The Vaccine Book" that a friend told me about. There's so much controversy about shots these days due to different things. It's an interesting book. The author is not against immunizations, he just recommends spreading them out so your child doesn't get as much aluminum at one time.

I just got the book and I felt like I was cramming for an exam. I didn't get to study it the way I wanted to so I prayed and asked God to give us wisdom and protection. I even had held off on a few of Merrae's shots her last two visits I was so concerned.

Thankfully God has given us a pediatrician who is older, experienced, and who takes the time to deal with our concerns. She even looked at the book, read the schedule Dr. Sears suggested and agreed to follow it with us to put our minds at ease.

I'd rather air on the cautious side. So, today Matthis had 2 shots out of the 4 that she normally does. He had the DTap and Rotateq. Merrae had 2 shots....chicken pox and flu. She said she didn't mind waiting on MMR until she is a bit older.

We'll go back in a month to do Prevnar and HIB and in another month after that we'll do some others. We're spacing them out.

Merrae hadn't had shots in a while so she didn't know what to expect. I told her it was going to pinch and even pinched her arm so she'd know what I was talking about. Still didn't prepare her very well. She screamed and cried so hard. Poor baby. She didn't want those bandaids on at all afterwards. She pulled them off in a hurry. I think it was a pretty good experience for her though even though it hurt. She now knows what to expect and that it's over fast. She also got a sticker and saw that Matthis had to get shots too. Matthis was asleep when they gave him his and he cried for a few seconds but it wasn't a big deal at all, thank goodness.

Glad all that is over with and we came to a resolution with our doctor. Thank you God for working things out and giving us wisdom, putting our minds at ease.

I was also happy to find out that the med. we have Matthis on for reflux doesn't have aluminum in it.

Here's Matthis' stats for those that care...
13 lbs. 7 oz 70th %
24 1/2 in. 80%
Head 41.2 cm 55%

She said he looks good! (Mom, Merrae's ears looked good too)

1 comment:

terri said...

We go for Flu shots tomorrow. I can hardly contain my excitement.