Sunday, July 6, 2008

Guess I'll blog......

Well, I guess I'll blog tonight. : ) Life is so full that there doesn't seem to be much time for blogging. I always seem to read my friend's blogs but never seem to write these days.

What to blog about? Well, I am getting bigger! I'm 28 1/2 weeks pregnant now (beginning my 3rd trimester) with this sweet baby boy and I'm getting more and more excited about him. : ) It's hard to believe he's about to quadruple in size these last 3 months. I already feel like my belly is huge! I can feel my skin burning from him growing and stretching it as I write this blog. Whew! Not so great feeling.

The pregnancy is going great. I went to the doctor this past Wednesday and drank that orange drink so they could do some blood work. I also had to have a shot because I have B negative blood. I had to have that with Merrae too...before and after she was born... No big deal but it does burn and they have to stick it in your behind. The doctor said everything looks on target and he thinks the baby has turned and moved his head downward...earlier in the pregnancy he was in a breech position and my doctor said he wanted to watch it and maybe do a sonogram at about 36 weeks or so to make sure we know what to expect. I've gained 18 pounds which he said is about what I had gained at this point when I was pregnant with Merrae. That's about average he said...although I seem to gain about the same amount in my last trimester alone! I've been eating a ton of sweets with this pregnancy so I am going to try and be more disciplined these last few months so that the calories I eat are healthy ones.

I'll go to another appointment in 4 weeks, then 3, then 2, then 1. Hard to believe it will only be a few more months until we get to meet this sweet blessing and have the extra responsibility!!!!!!!

Merrae is so much fun, delightful, and challenging all at the same time these days. She is learning how to handle her emotions and what is acceptable and not acceptable. Mom and Dad are learning what to do with her and praying for wisdom! : ) We are praying that God will prepare her and us for this new baby boy coming soon.

It's getting harder to lift Merrae along with this big belly....it's getting harder to do a lot of things. Seems like this pregnancy has been flying by. Not so much at the beginning, but it is now going fast. I'm trying to get a lot done before he gets here. Merrae's 2nd birthday will be 2-3 weeks after he's born, then Trunk-R-Treat at our church, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! Busy time of year.

We've decided to stay in our apartment for another 6-8 months. We have almost got our dog Lehya's surgery paid off and Matt's back therapy paid off. Then we can build our savings more hopefully. By the time the baby is born we will only have 3-4 months left on our lease and that's about how long babies stay in your room in a bassinet/ cradle anyway. So, it will work out just fine. Even if we have to go longer than that it will be fine. We're thankful to have not moved at this point because a few of the camps Matt was going to work this summer to build our savings more fell through. The camp leaders had a rough year taking care of their premature baby and therefore, the ministry suffered. They are still having the camps but cannot afford a videographer. Another reason we are thankful is knowing that we are about to have a lot of change going from one to two babies and a move on top of that would be challenging. It will be nice to just kind of ease into things. It will probably be more settling for Merrae as well.

Matt and his Filmosaic group are about to shoot another short film out in west Texas in a few weeks. Matt wrote it based on a true story our neighbor told us about. They are hoping to finish it in time for some film festivals and also before this baby comes and things get a little busier.

I'm still trying to get www.freedomexperience.com to come to the city I taught in for 8 years. It has been a slow process and will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. So far I have not been able to get a high school to agree to let us use their gym for three nights but I am also checking into doing a 1 or 2 night outreach. Please pray for the doors to open easily where and when God wants to reach out.

My brother Cameron is in town from Seattle for two weeks. He and Matt are out at a movie right now. We always see tons of movies when he's in town because it's his favorite thing to do. We just hate that! : )

More later...

5 comments:

Amanda said...

So good to hear an update from you! I just want to encourage you about the second child arriving into the family unit. From my experience, the changes that seem so scary happen much slower than we think they will. The new baby will sleep a ton, therefore, still allowing you lots of time with Merrae. When the new little guy finally goes from two naps to one, it will be a big change because the time alone with each one doesn't happen as easily. Only one nap didn't happen until our kids were around a year old. Just wanted to encourage you about the adjustments. They are a year in coming after the baby is finally born, and happen very slowly. I always thanked God about slow changes and how little they effected my children! He is so good to give us the time we need to adjust to such major changes when it comes to having more children...9 months of pregnancy, and the year of slow adjustments I've just described!

Also, we lived in a two bedroom apartment until Creed (our 2nd) was 8 months old. Our boys share a room, and started sharing when we were still in our apartment. Now our house is only one room bigger, and then sharing a room has been great. As much as I'd like more space with our kids and their toys taking over our house, we are comfortable and can be for the next 10 years. And it might be that on Johan's teaching salary and part-time youth salary!

So glad to hear you are feeling well!

Steph said...

so glad to hear from you! would love to see some pics:)

Amanda said...

Hey. I just wanted to get back to you about the spanking question. That's a tough one. First of all, we heard that same opinion your Pediatrician shared, and we decided to spank anyway. My kids have never been confused about hitting and spanking. They hardly ever hit, either. My second son is naturally more physical and rough, and we even have spanked him in the past for hitting, and it stopped him. With our kids, we have done what was needed to change the behavior. They are both different, so different levels of spanking and other types of discipline have worked at different times with different boys. Make sense? Like, a painful spanking works the most with Corban. If it doesn't hurt, he doesn't change the behavior and doesn't humble himself with us. With Creed, he is more emotional, even though he is a rougher child. The act of the spanking in the past has caused him to change his behavior, but it didn't have to be very painful. Just our displeasure with a little pain worked for him. They are always changing, too. Loss of privileges works at times, depending on the circumstances. Preventing bad behavior is also a great way to approach discipline. Examples that work for our kids sometimes are (1. spending quality time with them (loving them on their level helps them to want to please you), and (2. preparing them by telling them what we expect (communication). I could go on, but that'd be too long. I know God will show you and Matt what's right for your children.

Sorry about the long comments! I have had more time to waste with Johan gone this week! So this helps me get my mind off missing him!

Scott and Lyndsay Crews said...

Hey! Are you guys in town this weekend? Lyndsay and I found a last minute flight yesterday to Dallas...we leave tomorrow. If you're going to be around Saturday (or maybe Sunday evening), we'd love to go to dinner or something with you, Matt, and Merrae! Give us a call!

Purple Teacup said...

It was nice to meet your brother and see y'all.....